Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Emotional eating, I know thee well...

Today was the first day in this Sahara desert of a journey that I felt so stressed out that I wanted nothing more than to eat my way through a display case at a Krispy Kreme.

The cute lil' orange temptation monster has nothing on this vile beast - lack of coping skills which results in a caloric gorge fest.

I start my morning with a meeting about my goals and aspirations for the coming fiscal year. Problem was, I had nothing. For a month, I have been cranking the hamster wheel with practically no results. I know what goals I have in my personal life: onderland, a degree, an engagement ring; but I am helplessly lost with direction in my career.

Following that hour of a pressure cooker, I ventured to meeting #2 where I was given less credit than deserved for a recognition event that I designed and executed. Mix in lots of new rules and regulations regarding standard policy, and I was ready to blow!

I tried taking a walk to release some steam: nothing. Sat outside in the sun for some quick meditation: nothing. I could not pinpoint where this stress was coming from, and I couldn't find the off-button.

After driving home with DBF, he offered to take me out to Chili's for margaritas and appetizers. In the past, I would have jumped at the offer. But I sighed and said something I never thought I would be able to admit to myself:

"I need to learn to deal with my stress in ways that don't involve food."

There was a moment of silence in the car, followed by DBF replying "I think that is a great idea." We needed to stop at Wal-mart to pick up some last minute items for our mini-cuban sandwiches. He walked with me through the store for 30 minutes, holding my hand and just letting me savor the silence. After diffusing a bit, I did buy a small box of milk duds.

Eh, I'm human.

After dinner, I flopped on the couch with the milk duds and skimmed the Grammy awards. I barely nibbled through half the box, which was a far cry from the visions of donuts dancing in my head earlier.

Feeling better, I grabbed my workout scrapbook and made myself a berry smoothie.
  • 1 c. frozen unsweetened berries
  • 1 c. Ocean Spray diet cran-grape
  • 2 packets of splenda fiber
  • 1 tsp. Fiber-sure
  • 1 c. ice
Whirl in a blender until smooth
Sip by sip, I channeled my "need-to-achieve" into creating a structured workout plan, utilizing almost all the exercises in the binder. I felt some closure on the day.

More importantly, I recognized a moment of weakness and refused to succumb to it. I know I am an emotional eater, and hopefully I won't be one for the rest of my life. One day at a time...

Keep reaching for those dreams (personal or otherwise)!

2 comments:

  1. Recognizing that is such an important step!

    I'm wondering if maybe it's a full moon soon, because everyone I know had a binge yesterday.

    Today is a new day. Back on track, sista.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya know, the more I read everyone's blogs - I think it's binge week. Hahaha, maybe it's like the phenomenon when your friends gain, you gain. When your blog ring overeats, you overeat?

    ReplyDelete