Thursday, January 1, 2009

The Final Countdown!

The evening was set - me vs. New Year's Eve: lots of food, lots of goodies and lots of room for temptation.

Yet, somehow - I won!

Starting with the most amazing fact of the night, this was the first New Year's Eve in a long time that I haven't had a drop of alcohol. No beer, no wine - and it didn't phase me one bit!

Dinner was very yummy indeed! We spent the night with DBF family, serving up some wonderful Puerto Rican dishes. Pastelles, which are mashed yucca or plantain wrapped around beef or pork and steamed in a plantain leaf, are addictive but not so healthy. Oven roasted pork and rice with pigeon peas (arroz con gandules) rounded out the meal. DBF and I had a heart to heart moment when we watched the woman who made the arroz con gandules free pour (more like drown) the finished rice in canola oil to "keep it moist."

DBF just gave me a sad smile saying "It's ok if you don't want to eat that." I just smiled back, I am so glad I have such great support!!

Desserts were just as decedant - sweet rice, a flan type cake and cookies. But overall I took small portions, ate slowly and enjoyed the conversation more than the food. I didn't finish any plate in its entirety and I didn't go grazing about the appetizer bar of chips, pretzels and olives.

I've done WW before, and each time I've felt like I was forcing myself to conform to the diet. I was on the diet, but using every loop hole possible to not be on it at the same time. For example, I would just eat all day long with lots of little one and two point foods. I wasn't eating because I was hungry but because I was bored, tired, stressed or lonely. In the past few weeks, I have been watching what I eat and when I eat it. I've stopped most of the "I'm bored at work" eating. I've gotten a handle on the "grazing before bedtime" eating. What I need to work on is the "I only have to cook for myself today, so Fast Food sounds good."

After hanging around the WW boards, I'm adopting the idea of a goal for 2009. Not a resolution, which I think of as a starting point with little substance. I prefer goal, which is the end point.

For 2009, I'd like to get closer to getting my undergraduate degree. I have 13 classes remaining, so I would like to get down to 5 or less for 2010. I will achieve this goal by strategically chosing courses that will complement each other each semester. I also need to devote myself entirely to my school work, really putting the pedal to the metal in this last lap of the race. Ideally, I'd like to have both my undergraduate ad graduate degree by 2011.

Also for 2009, I want to see ONEderland for the first time in I-don't-even-know how long. I've been 200+ since high school, and it would be simply amazing. I'm going to reach this goal by continuing to monitor my eating habits, and always trying new healthy alternatives. Maybe I can find a way to use flaxseed oil. Hmmm...

I also need to keep moving. I have a bad history of losing 30 or so lbs and then thinking "Eh, I don't need to try so hard anymore." But with 150lbs to lose, I need to move past that level of apathy and push all the way to the goal.

Time to start the new year off on a good foot: buying weights for my training class, and some healthy snacks.

So, til next time, keep reaching for your dreams.

1 comment: