Saturday, January 24, 2009

Pills, Pills, Pills

Wow, what a crazy week!

I've learned that the hardest part about dieting, even Weight Watchers, is that life doesn't follow the rules. Sometimes, there isn't a healthy option on the menu. Sometimes, there isn't time to get that extra snack in before running out the door.

And then sometimes, your body throws in a nice curveball. I haven't been playing the "sport" nearly long enough to know to handle that.

I'll make this quick, because I believe this is a journal about weight loss and health - not a place to whine and gripe about things outside that theme to gain sympathy. I hate it when people do it in WW, which is the main reason I stopped joining challenges.

Monday night/Tuesday morning I woke up in extreme pain, localized in my back. After a trip to the emergency room and a follow up doctor's appointment - my pain was diagnosed as a muscle spasm. I have to take dose of ibuprofen and muscle relaxer three times a day. I also have to avoid all "aggravating activities."

Here comes the problem - I'm not entirely sure what sets off the spasm! I've been extremely hesitant to exercise, avoided volleyball, and I don't know whether or not I can go back to my exercise class this week. Very bummed out! However, the website for the muscle relaxer has some basic stretches though they are hardly anything aerobic.

So in addition to only exercising minimally, comfort foods have been the staple on the menu this week. Soups, pastas, and pizza - I'm not looking forward to this weigh in.

The one plus to this situation is that I can't drink while taking the medication, so I can gain back some points there! Hahaha.

While I was at the doctor's, we talked about about my previous blood work which made me very proud! My HDLs (the good cholesterol) were 47 (needs to be higher than 46) and my LDLs (bad cholesterol) were 86 (needs to be lower than 130) and my triglycerides were 96 (needs to be lower than 150). It exciting to know that even know I am overweight, I am truly eating healthy items - be it too many of them!

I just have to remember, a couple of setbacks with my weight are okay. The road to weight loss is a long journey, its going to take some time. I can't give up, I can't go back. My health may be good for now, but if I keep this weight on I do run the risk of more spasms or worse afflictions. I could be destined for diabetes or complicated cholesterol issues.

This week is in the past - time to learn and be wiser for when the curve ball comes again. I'm ready!

So til next time, keep reaching for your dreams.

1 comment:

  1. Setback do happen! And you're right - life isn't always condusive to making "goals". Its hard...well you know. I've been making amess of it the last bit as well.

    As for back issues...that is really the best reason you can use to get at working on your core! Strong abs = well supported back :D

    I'll do some abs tomorrow in your honor!
    :)

    ReplyDelete